Saturday, October 13, 2007

Yesterday & Today

Did I write anything yesterday? It was so long ago, I've forgotten. After class, I jumped on roadie and went off to Medford for a combined grocery run and blow-off-steam ride. The big store had specials on, which is a bad thing, since I had a ruck half full of sweater and raingear. Roast chickens $4.99, Greek Pita (garlic intense) .79, \half-a-kielbasa sized chicken, basil, tomato sausage 4/2.49. I browsed so long that it was dark when I started back. I soon learned how woefully inadequate my bike light is on a greenway trail where there is no ambient light. Add to that damp pavement and fallen leaves and it gets sketchy. Broke out the headlamp which I'd stuck in ruck just for chuckles. It helped get me home at faster than 2mph.

Started the day looking for a post office at which to buy postcard stamps. Can you believe the P.O.'s out here are closed on Saturday? I went to the only two in town, and the Safeway people only sold books of regular stamps. Pissed off a few people by telling them that in MY country, the post offices are open. When asked, I proudly answered New England. If Jordan comments about the beat-up card, tell her it rode about ten miles around Ashland looking for a stamp.

Today's ride was great! Getting to the top was brutal. I pushed a 30 lb. bike up most of the White Rabbit Trail-took hours, it seems, and then rode down in only a few minutes. Managed to pass a couple of cars which were concerned about curves. Dyl, you would have loved it. Some of the singletrack had hundred-foot drops through tall pines which had no lower branches to slow errant peddlers. Views were fantastic, and the camera just couldn't do them justice.
One photo is of Danny, a classmate from Pittsburgh, about 23, who also walked/pushed up some (less) of the trail.

Tomorrow, I'll stick to the black road and break 3,500 miles. Going to Jacksonville, which is supposed to be an "untouched" town, and consequently has the highest real estate prices in Oregon.

No comments: