Friday, October 26, 2007

DONE!!!

Well, finally, I've got my paper and I'm free. Getting closer to fine. Feeling kind of limp and oily, like a dishrag, only it's 5 weight shock oil and not extra virgin olive. Got my folder at the mustering-out proceedings and haven't checked to see whether the paper was blank. Won't know till the mail hits Westbrook. (Andre, don't throw away anything but junk mail!)

Thank you, Rhonda, for the congratulatory" TOUR de WRENCH " txt. It arrived right on time during the ceremonies. One happy highlight for our finish was that Trent was re-hired (despite lack of seniority) at his old job. The boss had thought he was goofing off when he terminated him due to one store closing; but when he was informed that Trent was at UBI, his response was, "Get him back!" Joshua got two job interviews in Vancouver for Monday morning and won't have to go back to Calgary for the winter. Kiwi Chris has two more weeks in frame building and then it's back to Auckland. The rest of us will be cast to the winds, most to land where we originated. A few will be looking for jobs along the way.

Shan, your congratulatory call arrived in the middle of the final. When the phone started vibrating and playing "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly", it drew a lot of snickers. I was startled, but I'm sure that the mark it caused on the answer sheet was the right answer. The test was 45Q in 45 min. Not bad when you know the answers, as did most of the kids who thrash full suspension mountain bikes, and live, breathe and eat rear triangles, swing arm radii, spring compression rates and viscosity indices, not to mention elastomer hysteresis. I knew where to look stuff up because I spent several hours with the books and notes last night, but my searching for the right page sounded like a windblown newspaper being thrashed to oblivion in a Manhattan alleyway.

Putting in my last shift at the Ashland Stardux. I actually have been recognized as a "regular" here and it will be kind of sad to leave. I actually regret leaving Ashland, as I haven't really explored it and scoped out all the intriguing stores and restaurants. I'm debating treating myself to a sit-down dinner, and even a glass of wine to celebrate. The other option is to go to Safeway, buy a roast chicken, a baguette and a bottle of Cabernet; then back to the"barracks" and pig out on it to the total disgust of my wound-too-tight roommate. Stay tuned for the next episode of "As the Wrench Turns", and the answer to Gloxys quandary.

No comments: