Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Tuesday down

Well, I've used the adjective "brutal" referring to the pace of the second course. I'll not repeat miself while talking about the wheel-building certification. How about "SATANIC"? It was quite intense, but the big problem I had with one of my wheels. We were given five hours to build two "acceptable" wheels. Naturally, since the school's name is on the certification paperwork, acceptable has a different meaning than it would to the casual rider such as I. And rightly so.

Anyway, I got near the end of my second wheel and was wondering why the spokes were getting shorter. This was a front wheel and all the spokes are supposed to be of equal length. With three left to lace into the rim, I realized that I had four holes to fill. Backtracking to the starting point, I found that the third or fourth spoke had become trapped (and hidden) by the lower (other side) spokes. I had to undo and unlace ten spokes and then start again. Needless to say, it blew my concentration, confidence and constitution. By lunch break I was more than an hour behind the body of the class, and going into the afternoon, I was resigned to doing as much as I could, just to have the wheels nearly done when I pack them up. I knew I wouldn't get certified.

Well, by the grace of God, the encouragement and help of the instructors and my dogged determination to make as much out of the big bucks I spent to do this, I finished. That's not to say that I'm certified. I won't know that until the grades arrive in Westbrook, via snail courier. I still don't know the result of last Friday's final. Todays final of 30 questions in thirty minutes was rigorous, but I'm relatively sure I got a good grade.

Who knows what mephistophelean rigors await us with the Suspension Certification curriculum. We have two and a half days of it. Whoopeeeee!

No pics today. I rushed from class to my roadie and blew off some steam. It was great-averaged 19.4 miles/hr. over a ten mile course. Turned early due to the failing light and managed to beat the terrible hill at the end of the ride without gasping for breath and drooling all over myself. A first! I think my lungs are getting acclimated.

Moon is almost full here. Probably will be in its glory tomorrow night. I've heard it said that the moon is brightest when viewed from a mountain which meets the sea. I'm on a mountain; the sea is far, far away. I miss it.

Had my dessert at Starbux; an espresso brownie and a decaf. Now home to cook the black beans and tomatoes over quinoa. Buenas Noches!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way to go. Illegitimus noncarborundum! Certificate or no, you showed 'em what you got!