Thursday, October 4, 2007

Midweek Action

Last night one of the guys came in (late) so mellow that he tripped over our resident fall-asleep-on-the-couch guy, fell and broke his foot. He was so anaesthetized that he didn't know it was broken until breakfast. He diagnosed it properly because he is a doctor. On crutches now-good thing he didn't bring a bike. Is there any other reason to not imbibe?

My back is still sprung; the longest it has ever stayed bad except for the MTB accident in '93. Thinking over all the incidents, I realized that 2/3 of my bad bike accidents happened while riding with Dylan. Is that indicative of his riding style? Can't lay it on him, both (in fact all 3) incidents were due to my own recklessness or carelessness. Eating Vitamin I like peanuts and wearing the brace & have tried field-expedient traction, but that wears on the rotator cuff issue.

Tonight was work-late night and I replaced the component in my road bike that got damaged during hands-on session. Replacement part was an upgrade so I should be able to add 20 mph to my average speed-Yeah!

Am posting a couple of photos taken in the classroom, and a shot of the hostel kitchen area. The proprietor approached me this afternoon and told me that I could move into the annex this weekend as he was getting in a new batch of students. I guess I will. It will be quieter, there is no tv and only two other people will occupy the area. I mentioned it to the guy from PA and the guy from Hawaii. They are taking the same class as me next week, and they are neat and non-rowdy, despite their youth.

Joe is my workbench partner who will depart on Friday. He's from Venice Beach, CA and has invited me to visit on my way to AZ. Joe is going to be buying a new touring bike and needs my input to help him spend his money-Yahoo! He had a slew of touring maps with him and I've selected the Big Sur area to do some riding despite the fact that there are some rather large hills on the route. I figured that it would also serve as a pilgrimage to the former haunts of the likes of Joan Baez and Hunter S. Thompson.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If I'm recalling the 2 of your 3 bad bike accidents accurately, I think they all occurred on relatively flat dirt or paved roads, not technical rocky, stump-jumping, log-hopping trails you normally blame me for dragging you down. So by deduction, you should stay off such roads that bore you to distraction and ride technical terrain that keeps your mind dialed in on the ride.

Gregory N. Locsin said...

I like your persuasive rationale. That's why I bought the Rocket. Some of the young guys in the hostel have been trying to get me to go stumpjumping with them. One pair heard of a 13 mile trail of technical stuff that is all downhill. Now I could fire for that. BTW it is 3/3. The first bad one was in Honolulu in '65 and involved me on a 10-speed, a motorcycle and a car.