Sunday, March 22, 2020

Lockdown in Spain-Day 8: Today the gift of a lemon


Today they gave us a lemon...

And I'm trying to make lemonade.  President Sanchez extended the period of alarm another fifteen days, but has to get it approved by the Cortes.  It is likely a done deal, as it seems like the right move.  Before that news, I was down in the dumps already, having realized what a mess we would leave if we both succumbed to the virus.  We need to start on a plan to ease the burden on our heirs, to pass the properties on and generally tidy up ahead of time.  Now that's a cheerful thought.  I expressed the dismay on Facebook, and received a lot of feedback from friends and family.  It ranged to a very inspiring message from Debra Bickford, a former art teacher to a funny request from Dave Gartside that he be able to inherit my bikes.  I'll only leave him the Iron Hoss, as he has a Pinarello for the road rides, and doesn't need to be burdened with more.  

Then I heard from cousin Maurice in Manila that he (and other senior citizens) are being directed to stay home-period.  At least I can go out for groceries once in a while.  Later on, I thought of paraplegics, the blind and other handicapped individuals who might never go out, even in normal times.  That slapped me in the face and eliminated self pity.  

So, in order to compensate for the absence of cycling and walking, I set myself a goal with stair-climbing.  I found that the Statue of Liberty had been summited days ago and focused on the Washington Monument.  Half that height had already been done so after climbing fourteen more flights, I added that feather to my hat.  Next goal is the Eiffel tower which is going to be a long day of climbing - 101 flights to surpass (1717 steps).  I probably ought to pack a lunch.


Wish I could go here for lunch.

No comments: