Saturday, March 28, 2020

Lockdown in Spain-Day 14: Homegrown and La Estocada


Homegrown No.5

I had been re-growing scallions and mung beansprouts to go in an udon noodle stirfry for lunch when I was delayed by a photo-op.  Having given up on getting interesting photos on the street when I do my nightly trek to the trash bins, I was thrilled to see how the morning light was hitting my scallions.  They were delicious.

Another nondescript day.  Laundry into the machine, fruit for breakfast, run the dishwasher, hang the laundry, do some reading, check email then start prep for lunch.  Take a photo break, continue with lunch, tidy up, play with LightRoom, a sort of Photoshop light.  Take a siesta before a three o'clock talk with Nick about LightRoom and various techniques.  Bring laundry in, watch some YouTube, read the LR manual some more, lift weights, shower, more 'puter time and now at almost nine o'clock start supper.


Estocada

The moment of thrusting for the kill.  While going through old photos, I came across this one I took in September '15 in the small town Piedrabuena.  It was about midway through Spain on my bike ride from Lisbon on the Atlantic to the Mediterranean coast near home.  I had picked the town as it was about 120 kilometers from the last overnight stay and we knew nothing about it.  While rehydrating in a really sketchy bar, I spotted the poster for the fight, took a photo and noticed that the fight was scheduled that day.  I asked the bartender when it was going to happen and he told me, "Right now."
The six of us conferred and having never been to a corrida, decided that we had to see what it was like.


I will probably never attend another, and my companions felt the same.  The pageantry and color was spectacular, the photos turned out pretty well despite having been taken from the stands.  BUT, and that's a big "but", I was really turned off by the cruelty of the event.  That is about all the condemnation I can muster.  It is a part of Spanish culture, though the practice seems to be on the ropes as many regions have banned it.  It is not my place to condemn or approve, but I will tell you that I did root for the bulls to win at least one fight.   

No comments: