Sunday, March 29, 2020

Lockdown in Spain-Day 15: More on La Corrida


Don't Forget The Horses!

That poor horse can't be having fun.  The picador is only thinking of getting out of the way, the bull is thinking of getting even and the horse is wondering what is going on.  They are padded pretty well, but they are wearing blinders and only react to the riders' commands.  To be bowled over and have a thousand pounds of smelly animal mauling you is not a good time.  Fortunately, the matadors got the bull off, the horse up and away and the spectacle went on, ending badly for the bull.




The Damas Watch

It is interesting to interpret the expressions of the lovely ladies all dressed in in their finery.  From the right; mild approval, obvious concern, disinterest and "Shit! I got aluminum foil on a filling!"  I have quite a lot of photos of the corrida, many technically good, but not great shots.  I should have had the camera on "Sports" to try and get instant photos and preset the exposure and focus manually.  Live and learn...  There are some good documentary shots, gory or pitiful scenes that I don't want to post.  I've done the Hemingway thing, seen a bullfight and must move on.

Nothing memorable about Day 15.  Did a lot of work in LightRoom, post-processing old photos and reliving memories.  






2 comments:

Jo said...

Bull fights..not something I would want to watch. Interesting what entertains some human beings.

Gregory N. Locsin said...

Right, Jo. I had a suspicion that I was not going to like it, but having been a Hemingway fan for many years, I wanted to try and experience what he wrote about. Granted, my immersion into Spanish culture and history is likely not as extensive as his was, but I have been familiar with it since early childhood and have read a lot about the civil war and history. But, my primary exposure to the corrida was through him and some ancient Life articles.

It is cruel and one-sided, but on the other hand, colorful and dramatic. I will never attend another and would not recommend any one else do so.