Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Lockdown in Spain-Day 11: Ho Tai

I'm going to start out with a link gleaned from my cousin Shelly's blog http://abroadabroadnews.blogspot.com/ She is locked down close to Turin in the Piemonte region where Nick, Susan, Is and I were scheduled to go on 16 April.  That ain't happening this year.  Anyway, it's a very stirring video taken by drone of a neighborhood in Turin where the neighbors gather at 6:00pm nightly to sing the national anthem.
https://video.lastampa.it/torino/a-torino-un-intero-quartiere-canta-all-unisono-l-inno-d-italia-dal-balcone-il-flash-mob-visto-dal-drone-e-da-pelle-d-oca/111862/111870  .


Ho Tai in his garden of tranquility

Ho Tai is a many flavored Buddha.  When I was growing up in the Philippines my mother kept a small ceramic statue of a buddha perched on a kitchen window, usually over the sink.  The pot-bellied,  mustard colored deity had a beaming smile and his right (I think) hand cupped behind his ear.  Mom told me that he was the "Kitchen Buddha" and the tradition was that each year the housewife would buy an effigy and throughout the year tell their troubles to it.  On the new year, they would dash the figurine to pieces and their woes would be gone.  She probably told Ho Tai a lot, but she never smashed him.  I don't know what became of the statue, and have searched many stores over the years to find a similar one, to no avail.  About five years ago, Is found one in a store here on the Costa Blanca, gave it to me for Christmas and he's occupied a place of honor since.

Here he is in all his splendor.  I looked him up and could not find the same legend, other than that he could be a recipient of one's woes.  The other legends state that he was actually a perpetually smiling man, about a thousand years ago, who went about carrying a sack with gifts for children and rice to plant.  He was supposed to bring good fortune, luck and wealth, and is compared to the western Santa Claus.

Ho Tai sits beneath our olive tree, with his reflecting pool and a painted pigeon which will likely be the subject of another page.  The two flags are a little touch of America in this home away.

Whatever the case, I'm glad to provide a place for him in our garden as he reminds me of Mom and may occasionally dispose of a gripe for me.

No comments: