Saturday, March 21, 2020

Lockdown in Spain-Day 7: Olive buds and roadblocks


It's been a week now.  The olive tree is budding, the wasps are back in the citrus orchards and the Guardia Civil were out enforcing the lockdown.  

I drove to Ciudad Quesada today to pick up the contact lenses I'd ordered before the lock-down.  Had a bit of apprehension as I was not on a purely "medical necessity" trip, but then I would be in pretty poor shape when the current pair needs to be tossed.  Of course I have glasses, but they don't know that.  Anyway, I saw one cruiser on the way there, and on the way back, I took a different route, just to see some different country.  I came upon a roadblock, but ever-ready camera wasn't.  Besides, I might have drawn unwanted attention had I driven by with the camera to my face.  The route circled back behind the stop, and I grabbed a shot.  The SUV had been stopped, probably for being out and towing an inflatable pleasure boat.  I still can't imagine a plausible excuse, but he must have tried one.  The officer at the rear of the cruiser looks as though he is writing.



Anyway, it's raining steadily and I'm glad that the olive flowers aren't open yet.  Last year a cold rain when they were open killed the crop.  You may have seen my post of the single olive I harvested.  The wasps have arrived from wherever, and just after I passed the traffic stop, I was into the citrus groves and clouds of the black beasts were all over.  I'm glad.  In the abwsence of bees, they might be able to help in pollination.  Otherwise, the crops are screwed.

Since the lockdown started, I've climbed 209 flights of stairs in a two story house.  That's 3553 steps up, not counting the numerous times I've gone into and out of the garage, garden and front door, all a climb of four steps.  That's all the exercise beside the iron I've been pumping.  Was actually tempted to take the bike to pick up my contacts, but I figured that would draw more attention than a nondescript driver in a plain old car.  See below for photo of happy Nondescript Driver:


Hasta mañana!

No comments: