Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Lockdown in Spain-Day 17: Memories of Maine


View From Meyers Landing, Flagstaff Lake

Flagstaff Lake is my favorite place on earth.  I used to go there a couple of times each year, sometimes for just a night and at others for up to ten days.  On many occasions I would not see another person for the whole time I was tucked away in a remote corner of the lake.  Solitude!


Quiet Morning

It would not be unusual to be canoeing along in a mist and drift up on a moose feeding, or spook a deer or two who were taking a morning drink.  Bear were not seen as frequently, and usually from a good distance, but that didn't mean that there weren't any hiding nearby.  Fishing was fantastic.  I never failed to catch (and release) more fish than would make a good meal.  Although I had been told of a deep salmon "hole" by an old timer who lived there all his life, I never caught one.  I guess I never found the deep hole.  Trout evaded me as well, but Chain Pickerel, the freshwater equivalent of Barracuda, were plentiful.  I've caught them as large as 30 inches and weighing about five pounds; a real handful on light tackle.  I hope to make one last trip there next time I go back to the US, if that ever happens.


Monhegan Mooring

Monhegan is another spot on my favorites list even though I've only been there once.  I had to take a trip there a couple of years ago to see the spot that inspired so many famous artists and perhaps pick up a little inspiration myself.  It didn't let me down and I have lots of "reference" photos to use whenever the urge strikes.

No comment on the lockdown or pandemic.  I'm sick of hearing and reading about it and would rather stick to pleasant topics.  Hasta pronto...

No comments: