Sunday, April 26, 2020

Lockdown in Spain-Day 43, Who's feeding the birds?


Just before the lockdown, I was wandering around Orihuela, a city about 12 kliks away, looking for images.  As I was locking my bike to a building I became aware that pigeons were descending in groups to a corner nearby.  As I watched about fifty hovered and eventually landed on the sidewalk with no apparent reason.  So I set up my camera to catch the take-off in the event someone rounded the corner, and waited.  The pigeons began to get agitated and seemed to be looking in my direction.  I thought they were waiting for me to provide a handout.  Shortly, an elderly fellow in a housecoat passed me from behind and walked to the expectant flock and began doling out handfuls of rice.  When he was done, he walked over and we talked a while despite the language barrier.  It turned out he is a priest who lives around the corner and he feeds the flock daily at this that time.  He also told me that he feeds them twice on Sundays because the bars and restaurants close after lunch and the birds have less opportunity to feed.  As soon as the lockdown ends, I'm going back to see how he's fared over the intervening months.

Here are a couple of drake mallards who approached me when I was taking some shots along the river Segura which flows past near the pigeon corner.  Again, I failed in the feed department and they departed in disgust.  I played with the color and found that I liked the way the ripples showed with this treatment.  The water was not really that hue.  I'll make sure that when I return, I'll have something to toss.

No comments: