Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Lockdown in Spain-Day 46, entertainment

One time-killer I've employed is  Catch-and-Release swallow hunting.  I use my camera with long zoom set on 8 frames per second to try and catch images of the feeding swallows.  When the shutter release is pressed it sounds like a muffled machine-gun and the result is not always successful.  Of a few hundred "shots" I have only taken about three good images, and though I have set the shutter speed at 1/1000 per second, the images are still blurred. 
Another type of hunting I do is for flies.  We have a very annoying rounded wing-tip fly in this area.  They buzz around in small squadrons of anywhere up to five, very erratically and utterly unpredictable.  I use a swatter and have downed 92 since they started hatching about three weeks ago.  Most of the kills were in air combat, but I have ambushed a few resting on walls early in the morning.  I pile up the carcasses in a specific spot and the ants carry them away over time.  I feel I'm doing the ants a good deed.


Am awaiting a definitive news piece describing just how we are going to be allowed to wander.  I suppose a few more days of ignorance won't bother me.  A new book arrived today, but I just started the third in a trilogy by Ivan Doig about Scottish homesteaders in Montana around the turn of the 19th century.  I'd already read and listened (on National Public Radio) to one back in the 80s.  Finished that one today, and was surprised how little I had remembered.  It was good to re-read it, as it is obviously the link between the first and last.

No comments: