Monday, April 27, 2020

Lockdown in Spain-Day 44, Envy the swallow


Meanderings of a mind in captivity:
The Spanish government has announced that it is considering allowing seniors to go out for walks and "exercise" around the beginning of May.  It's what I've been waiting for, pining for...right?  It's a small taste of freedom, after all this time, but why am I not ecstatic?  Is it fear that I might walk through a cloud of infection, or that I might crash my bike because I haven't ridden in so long and wind up in an hospital where there is a concentration of the virus?  Or is it resentment, not at the government, but at fate that I'm being offered this taste, when just forty-five days ago I had the whole feast?  Freedom is no longer the norm, no longer a right.  It has become a privilege to be doled out, albeit with good reason, by government whether enlightened or befuddled.

"Go with the flow." I tell myself, " Lie down baby, see what tomorrow brings."

No comments: