Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Lockdown in Spain-Day 31, a challenge from Gareth Danks

I've been viewing a lot of videos and tutorials about  "street" photography, a genre which seems to have been my favorite over the years.  I've taken many more landscape and travel photos, shots of fish caught, game shot and the ensuing feasts, but what I enjoy most is capturing people as they live their lives. 

Anyway, one of the photographers I've been following, Gareth Danks, was challenged by a colleague of his to do a "lockdown" challenge.  This consists of three self portraits illustrating life in isolation,  one's reaction to it and a "quirky" selfie.  The challenge was then opened up to all, and the results were to be put on Instagram.  Even though I don't subscribe to Instagram, I thought the idea was interesting, so set out to do it. 
 This one is in my sanctuary, where I spend most of my waking lockdown hours other than those I spend climbing the stairs.  I found an old self portrait I painted, a composite of a scene in Andalusia and a shot taken of me in front of El Greco's home in Toledo.  I'm wearing the hat so that those who don't recognize the similarity make the connection anyway.
I shot this strange scene while cycling in Scotland a few years ago.  At first, I caught the figure out of the corner of my eye and almost crashed.  Good thing I didn't, as I had already done so and was cycling with three broken ribs, hoping to find an hospital or clinic soon.  As it turned out, I didn't get to one until about five days later, in Bangor, Northern Ireland.  Let me give you a hint; don't go to the Emergency Room in Bangor on a Saturday night.

No comments: