Saturday, November 17, 2007

Sleeping with the Devil

I forget which day it was (the days zip by along with the miles) that I left John & Yvonne's in Mesa. I had to. He beat me three straight at pool and she figured out the perps in all the CSI & Cold Case programs we watched-John and I didn't. Anyway, I had a great time seeing Mesa and cycling around. Thanks to the Madduxes!

The next stop was a brief one at Phred's. Probably a good thing that I need to speed back to Maine, because Phred had a lot on his hands. The landlord dug up his electricity and phone lines and was taking his time repairing them. A pipe under the home he bought for his mother-in-law sprung a leak and Cousin Lester was leaving for Vassalboro the next day. He didn't need me to fuss over. Anyway we had a good time talking over the "old days" at A.P.D. and laughing about some of the new developments. Phred and Donna, Thanks for the B&B and I hope you get Bill straightened out!

Back to the Devil. After I left Mesa, i backtracked to the Apache Trail to photograph some of the scenery I saw cycling there a few days back; the day my batteries died. So, I decided to drive the whole trail which included 30 miles of gravel road. I haven't decided whether it was a mistake or not. The scenery was outstanding. As I said previously, probably the most beautiful I'd ever seen. Breathtaking! Not a place for an acrophobe such as I, but it was well worth the nerve-wracking drive. When I stopped for lunch near the Roosevelt Dam I found that the bumpy road had emptied the contents of my shredded wheat/bran cereal all over the kitchen. The shaking then caused the squares to be pulverized between the shelf and the walls and all the other items banging around due to the bumpy road. The end result was that I had wheat spears distributed fairly evenly through all my fleece, wool and flannel sheets. I shook, flailed and cursed, but was unable to remove all the spears. So for the last three nights, I have been sleeping with the devil or at least his cousin. Yesterday, I went over a long stretch of road which is under construction somewhere near Little Rock. That finished the job. Not only did it shake down the remainder of the shreds that had been caught between the shelves and the wall; it brought down the shelves. Now I have to prop the kitchen up on tall stuff and hope that I don't kick the prop out from under while I'm thrashing in my sleep. Let's see what tonight brings.

Tonight? I think I'll be somewhere near Roanoke , VA, heading for Pittsburgh. I have to take care of some business there, and then head for home. The night after I left Phreds, I spent in Show Low, AZ. It was up in the mountains, rather cool, but beautiful. Then it was on to Roswell, NM where I checked out some property that Cousin Lope owns. I stayed at the Bottomless Lakes State Park where I experienced my first freezing weather. Good thing I decided to skip Albuquerque and Santa Fe as they are further north and higher in altitude.
Then I overnighted in a rest area west of Little Rock lulled to sleep by the rumbling of numerous diesel trucks. Thank God for ear plugs.

I must close as check-out here is 1100 and I have forty minutes to throw things at the car and pod and get gone. Next commo will be from wherever and whenever. Till then, O.T.R.A.

P.S. to Dyl: Speaking of O.T.R.A. , Willie survived his first (and last-I hope) bath in Mesa. He wound up sounding like Donald Duck, but after a good drying, is back to nasal-normal.

No comments: