Saturday, November 3, 2007

L.A. Day 2

50.066 paved miles later I've seen the beaches of Manhattan, Redondo, Hermosa and been to Torrance. Experienced all the names and places you hear watching the cops and wops classics, Dirty Harry and Adam-12. We cruised Venice Beach again, this time with people. Saturday and sun bring out the crowds and the human interest stories. I didn't have to pay $3.00 to see "The Greatest Freak Show On Earth", I stayed on the boardwalk and saw it for free. Didn't get to see the two-headed frog, though, that's a missed opportunity.

There were some really good jazz musicians playing, a folk singer and a really jumpin' drum circle consisting of about twenty individuals of various ethnicities. Saw the hos, pimps, geeks and gonzos, the college kids, old wastrels and tourists from Minnesota, the ancient asian guys in $500 suits accompanied by twenty-something (if that) chickie-poos with their B.K. aprons stuffed into the rear pockets of painted-on jeans and the Grecian-god Adonises strutting their stuff hoping to land one of the Beemer-driving blondes who migrated west with Woody Guthrie.
It's not New Sweden, Saint John or Westbrook, it is interesting and it ain't home...wherever that is.

Since I'm seeing one of the other sides of life, I thought I'd try some diverse, exotic food. We tried a spot in Redondo which had stuff I've heard of but haven't tried-in a while. Bacon-cheeseburger royale, fries and onion rings with a side of mayo, as they serve it in Belgium. If you're ever cruising Redondo, I'd recommend this place. Can't attest to the Greek menu, though.

Tomorrow is a day of rest. I only need to do 89.something miles, but I think I'll hold off. Should wash the roadie and do laundry. Monday Joe and I are taking our bikes on the train to Ventura, then ride to Santa Barbara, spend the night and then ride down the Pac Highway and Ventura Highway back to Trancas Canyon and finish by bus back to L.A. Wednesday, I hit the road for either Yuma or Mesa or wherever I care to stop in Arizona for a rest and some solitary time in the desert.

No comments: