Friday, November 9, 2007

Mesa, AZ

In Mesa, finally. I drove through Phoenix and to Apache Junction yesterday. From thirty miles out, I could see a brownish pall hanging over the city. SMOG I was told by two people with whom I spoke. John says it's dirt/dust blown up by the wind. In any case, I don't think I'm going to breathe it for an extended peeriod.

Yuma was interesting, weather and skies were crystal clear. Overnight there was in a RV "park" which was actually a semi-permanent seasonal refuge for retirees. I got parked next to the dumpster for $30.00. Long desert drive to the "Valley" and visits with John and Phred.

Spent the night at the Lost Dutchman State Park, a beautiful spot right underneath Superstition Mountain. Cycled in the Tonto National Forest, along the Apache Trail and did some hill climbing. One stretch of two miles required two rest stops-I guess I lost my high-altitude lungs in California. Climbing was tiugh, but I got a couple of outstanding downhill runs where I put my "skills" to the test. Used up a lot of adrenaline. I have to drive the course when I head for New Mexico, as the batteries in my camera failed and I couldn't take any pics.

Tomorrow is going to be work-on-John's-bike-so-I-can-get-him-riding-again day. Then to tour Mesa and the area.

1 comment:

Howard & Simone said...

Seeing the Lost Dutchman makes us homesick for Tucson. You are now seeing a small example of our world. We have more mountain ranges and lots of saguaro which you won't see there, but desert is pretty much desert. You will just have to come and see us when you get a chance. Have a good trek home.