Sunday, November 4, 2007

L.A. day 3

Well, I've been in the city too long. Do you recall that experiment wherein someone crowded too many rats into a space and they eventually became antisocial and fratricidal? This morning some jerk pushed me repeatedly with his shopping cart and I became antisocial after the third time. It's a good thing he was all hawk and no spit because I was ready to soil his new mop handle for him. Time to go...

Did laundry, and then headed for the beach while Joe went to one of the ethnic enclaves to play against a win-at-all-cost minority team. He was concerned about winning and leaving without incident, but fortunately (I guess) they lost the series, though his team won their sets.

Anyway, at the beach I stood around listening to a drum circle for about half an hour, grooving on the sounds and trying not to inhale-after all, I got there by bike and wanted to get home in one piece. I was the only white-guy-from-away, and stood out like a white guy from away. No problem, lots of people said "Hi" and one even offered me a toke. I hoped he wouldn't think I was undercover when I refused, but then I am a bit older than your average cop. Recorded a lot of the music, but my machine didn't do it justice-good souvenir, though.

Then I cycled down the beach and watched some surfers trying to catch the last wave-nothing like Hawaii or the surfers there. They were probably all tourists with rented boards-they looked about as bad as I did back in 64/65.

Back to Pollo Loco again tonight for dinner. It is a Mexican version of Kentucky Fried and has it beat, hands down. The sides include Spanish rice, black beans, avocado dip, salsa, etc. Main dishes are chicken, of course, tamales, burritos, and all the regular suspects. I could live there. Nick, remember that great beer I discovered in Cozumel? Bohemia-well I found it here and it hasn't changed.

Peachy, got your txt late at night, actually I discovered it late when I plugged it in to charge. I didn't feel or hear the phone go off. Great that you're on the bike. Harish's reaction when you told him that you'd found your Xmas present looked really positive. Hope they still can order the red one. I looked all over the beaches for a Jamba Juice place, but to no avail. Apparently they are not popular with the beach crowd. Did have a good one for lunch in San Juan Obispo the other day and I hope that I find them further East. Had a great time-waaay to rushed. Next year...

Off to Ventura by train tomorrow and then bike to Santa Barbara. Blog day off tomorrow and I don't know whether I'll be able to update on Tuesday night when I get back. Hitting the road zero-dark-thirty on Wed. and heading I don't know where. Isn't that great? I'll let you know where I am when I find it.

No comments: