Friday, November 2, 2007

Cruising the beach

Joe and I hit the beach after I test rode his Fuji and made a few corrections. We hit Venice, Santa Monica, Marina and Playa del Rey Beaches. Saw all the stereotypes, lots of "beautiful" people, more homeless (sleeping in their bags) or wrapped in them sharing smokes and paper-bagged beverages. Probably soy milk. Saw a few houses with massive shoring keeping them perched on future mudslides, and a couple of large gouges where there used to be houses. Joe pointed out a dumpy place with a great swath of what looked like new dirt packed on the downhill side and told me that it would probably go for about a million. Not to this homeboy.

We toured the canal area of Venice Beach where some developer decided, in 1905, to re-create Venice. I'm told that twenty years ago the houses were going for a song. Now they are untouchable. Reminded me a lot of the "Jungle", that three block swath of pre-WWII cottages in between Kalakaua and Ala Wai Boulevards. That's where Mau and I hung out that summer the Draft Board reclassified me 1-A. Man, the wild things you do when you think you're Vietnam-bound.

We also cruised several bike shops looking for the perfect bike for Joe. I saw a lot of toys that made my mouth water, but we couldn't find the Grail. Now that his Fuji is running well, he may not have to buy a new one. Tonight we're going to try and solve his dislike for leaning into the drops on the touring bike by flipping them. May not work with the integrated shift/brake levers, but it'll be fun to try. We'll do it after a hearty supper of chips, salsa and Cerveza Pacifica-all the major food groups and no cholesterol.
Cheers!

No comments: