Saturday, September 22, 2007

Lunch in Cedar Rapids

Having a wi-fi, healthy (if you overlook the cream cheese in the pumpkin muffin), Starbucks lunch before striking for Badlands.
Dylan, the address is: c/o U.B.I. 401 Williamson Way Ashland, OR 97520. Thanx in advance for the info.
About that bridge yesterday-it was a Half a Mile of Hell, and then another to get back over it. I knew it was windy, I knew it was a steel grate for a deck, I knew there was no bike lane, but I did not know that the guardrail was lower than my bike seat, I did not know that I would have to ride in the center of my lane (much to the anguish of tghe cars following me) to avoid getting blown over the edge by a strong gust; and I'd forgotten my acrophobia until I looked down through the bridge deck to the whitecaps a couple of hundred feet below. I have stared down the barrel of a gun and felt less fear. The trip back was no more fun despite the fact that I had just done it. Something hypnotizing about the water sparkling waaaay below; kind of like a cobra's eyes....
Shan, the suggestion of ice worked well. I packed the ruck that Andre gave me full of ice and rode thru Carroll County with it soothing the back.
Off for the Badlands or someplace short of there
OTRA (on the road again)
Greg

2 comments:

Phred said...

Wow ur nawt wastin any time r u???

Gregory N. Locsin said...

I've spent three days in this area, too much to see & not enough time.