Tuesday, September 25, 2007

From the Bear's Den

The traditional name has nothing to do with the Devil. There is a native legend about a bear and children and how the earth grew the tower to save the children. The striations are bear's clawings. Anyway, I've skipped the badlands and Black Hills areas, just to try and keep up with technology. Haven't the time as yet to view/download all the pics, and am making the best of the wi-fi connection at the KOA campground.

Met a young couple from Portland while doing the sunrise photo-op. Brenday and Kelly are doing more or less the same circuit; taking time out from corporate life and seeing the country. I wish I had done it at their age, but then things might not have turned out the way they have. I'm happy with this version of my story. Anyway, welcome to Gloxy's Ramble, Brendan and Kelly and I hope we cross paths again.

Rhonda, you were right about buying a telephoto lens. I'm sorry I didn't listen to you. I'll send you some pics, but I wish you were here to share the experience with me.

You kids, too. I can't emphasize how un-freaking-believably beautiful this area is. Maybe someday...

In about three hours I'm going to cycle up the mountain again, to Joyner's Ridge Trail. It is supposed to be the best spot from which to view the Tower and sunset. The photo of me not panting was taken there.

More later after reorganizing the shambles in the Pod, maybe laundry and maybe a hot meal.

No comments: