Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Antidote to British Weather


Having missed my last chance to ride with my Amigos because of an appointment with my Spanish tax accountant; I decided to reward myself with a ride around the Embalse de Pedrera.  It was a beautiful sight and I drank it in, storing up sunshine in anticipation of snow, fog, drizzle and sub-freezing weather-all of which we're told await us in England.  Temperature was around 23C and I got my second light sunburn of the year.
Iave  looked up gyms in Luton and found one that has six spinners that provide "virtual cycling".  You know, the computer & tv equipped excuses for a bicycle that show you a film and program resistance to match the terrain on the program selected.  GBP16/month sounds alright-if the machines aren't booked up solid except for zero-dark-thirty.
Today's lunch was an overdose of foods I'll sorely miss:  Toasted slices of pan de pueblo, rubbed with raw garlic, topped with grilled tomatoes, toasted garlic, basil, chorizo Iberico and cheese, drizzled with olive oil and served with semi-bitter purple and green olives which had been prepared in a brine containing bay leaf, thyme and rosemary.  Had to have ice-cold pilsner and not tinto as it was lunch and I didn't want my siesta to last too long.  Get thee begone, bangers, mashed and mushy peas!

No comments: