Monday, March 25, 2013

Packing winter gear

Today, while Is was at her Spanish class, I sat outdoors at Cafeteria Badulake on the plaza in Algorfa; talking painting, politics and all sorts of stuff with Johannes.  His wife Susanne is one of Is' classmates and Johannes and I meet to have coffee and wait for them.  The sun was blazing, and there was a cool breeze to counteract, so it was very pleasant; especially since Johannes had picked the upwind table and we were free from the emissions from the cancer ward.  I know, there's nothing worse than a reformed smoker.

So, anyway, back to the winter gear...As spring washes oveer the Costa Blanca, we are heading for  Luton, England to prepare her house for sale.  I just checked the weather there and was dismayed to see that the temperature is -1C, and the wind is at 24 km/hr.  Who cares from where it's coming?  It's still bloody cold.  I brought no boots to Spain, the worthiest shoes I have are a pair of Canadian brogues, but they won't keep out any significant snow-It's expected, I'm told.  My suitcase contains an eclectic mixture; wool sweater and socks, cycling jerseys, water-sports shoes, windproof vest, tropical-weight travelling shirt, bottle of Tequila, two kilos of garlic-ed peanuts and a large chorizo.  I'll be damned if I'll do without the necessities of life.

I hope to be back here in about three weeks.  Hate the thought of wasting away in the fog, rain and snow...I've gotten used to sunshine.  Better go pack some lemons to go with the Tequila. Next post will probably be from the east side of the big pond.
"Talogo", which is the local slang for "Hasta luego".

No comments: