Monday, December 3, 2012

Skinny tires vs. wet clay


This is what happens when you follow the Newest Sadist into the field roads and campos of Alicante, after a heavy rain.  Richard and I decided to explore the canal roads, and eventually strayed into the field roads which, in dry weather are fine, packed clay.  On this occasion, they were a very sticky mass of goo over which he sailed merrily with his fat, knobby tires.  I, on the other hand, had skinny cyclo-cross tires which cut through, causing the mud to jam up into my brake calipers; bringing me to a complete stop.  I narrowly escaped flopping sideways and becoming a mud-puppy.  Anyway, I had to spend about ten minutes every puddle or so, cleaning the brakes off, and when I finally cleaned off the clay (which had turned into concrete), it took me three hours.  
I think I will reserve my off-road escapades to dry days.

No comments: