Friday, November 18, 2011

Baby Eels


These are baby eels, fried in garlic and olive oile and served as an appetizer. They actually tasted much better once I learned that they were actually eel-substitute, otherwise known as Surimi. The real things are hard to find and prohibitively expensive. I gave thanks for that; too close to snakes for my blood. The wine is a LaMancha red of unknown parentage, but head and shoulders above a $6 bottle from a well known purveyor in Portland-for only Eu.0.99 (about $1.35). Asparagus, greens, potato salad-all grown locally, reasonably priced and brought to us weekly by the itinerant market.

2 comments:

Bee said...

I am thankful it was eel substitute too, I almost had to stop reading. I thought of you and the snake Dre planted in your apartment :) of course it was a toy, but got a good rise out of you!

We received the package, but someone won't let us open it until Christmas... thank you! i even tried to tempt him to open it suggesting that it could be food, no dice!

Bee said...

G- what are the dimensions of your sketchbook?