Monday, January 31, 2011

Manila, 01 Feb. 2011

The enemy shelling started early this morning, just as we were waking and making our coffee. The first salvo took out the latrine and three guys who wanted to get in before the sun heated it up. I just put my poncho over my head hoping to shut out the light and some of the noise-just another day in the seige of Manila...

...then I realized it was the sound of garbage cans-it's collection day, so I jumped up to start another day in Pasig City, Feb. 2011. I did a hand wash. It's unadvisable to send wool (from the flight over) and technical fabrics to the laundry-I have no use for doll's clothes. Had breakfast of papaya and a cupcake-like concoction of rice flour, sugar and lye(!) that I've eaten in the past under a name I can't remember; just like the current name which I , likewise, can't remember. It has the consistency of stiff jello and has a faint, sweet taste that leaves you waiting for the flavour-burst. It doesn't appear. Final treat was some cousin of Alupi' (cassava/coconut mixture steamed in banana or palm leaves). This version had Ube mixed in. The sweet potato-like root crop gave it another dimension. It was all good-strong coffee and a San Mig to top it off. It was almost noon, so I can
claim that it was really lunch. Another day in Manila is half gone...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Buto or something like that?