Friday, December 3, 2010

Spain-Ramble 10

Ramble 10

02.12.10, Algorfa (just off the Costa Blanca), Alicante Province, Spain

.They call it the Costa Blanca because of the ancient industry of salt production, not white beaches. Haven’t really explored other than to cruise a few bike shops and supermarkets for supplies. Weather was miserable (though not as severe as Granada) until yesterday, when we saw the sun for the first time in days. I stripped right down to two layers!

.Is was stricken with a sore throat and an ear-ache yesterday. Probably from the ribs she ordered at a Fish ‘n Chips place at dinner last night. I was flayed by a guilty conscience and a resolution to eat Roman in Rome. I was tempted by the waitress’ description of the “southern fried chicken” and figured it would be a real adventure to try “southern” cooking in a Brit restaurant in Spain. No wonder I failed Brain Surgery I in school. What I got was 3 sort of McFingers pieces deep-fried in over-spiced soggy batter that even the combination of “Brown” sauce and Tartar sauce (both from packets) couldn’t make palatable. In my own defense, I must argue that I was put off the Lamb Shank by her description that it was “like, roasted, in a microwave”, by the mint sauce (again in a packet in the bowl on the table); and I had already tried fish ‘n chips. Granted they were wrapped in newspaper, sprinkled with vinegar, and eaten under a tree in a park in Luton, but…

.Anyway, I should have gone with the fish. Pyon gave me a slab of hers to try (since her cat wouldn’t eat the whole thing, which was as large as a respectable mackerel). It was delicious. Pyon is Burmese, married to Les and they are the first Brit residents of Fontana-1, where Is will buy her flat. They have been super “hosts” and guides; letting us camp on their sundeck to use the internet, setting up the VOIP call to Shannon yesterday and showing us where everything is. They were pleased to guide us to three bike shops and are looking forward to cycling together. There apparently is a trail from Algorfa to the beach at Guardamar-a mere 15K hop. I will be going out in a while to scope out the surface in order to make the decision as to what kind of bike I need. I know which one I would like, but that is in Westbrook and would involve significant dismantling in order to ship. I may buy locally, especially if I can find a good second-hand ‘Cross bike.

No comments: