Wednesday, June 20, 2012

20 June and looking toward September

Another scorcher and a ride into the foothills, with the Amigos, or at least a number of them.  The large group split up right at the starting point, Studz Bar in Benijofar.  About fourteen of us headed out in a faster group, heading for Abanilla.  A similar number headed of for parts unknown to me.  The hills separated our group with the Danish/Norwegian/German contingent charging ahead; the lone American holding up the middle and some Brits guarding the rear with one each from Jordan and Spain.  Not that they couldn't go faster, but they decided to stay with a slower member, while I got dropped by the faster lads.  After the coffee break, we split again, with the faster group (including me) heading off for a longer ride home through Santomera and the dreaded tunnel-climb in Oriuela.  As I anticipated, after we did the fast descent, we started climbing and flying on the flat.  I couldn't keep up with the 36-38 KPH speed, so I told them that I knew the way home and they should speed on withouot me.  Method to my madness-I avoided the climb to the tunnel and had a leisurely ride home, finishing with 95 kliks done.
  As you can see, I've been thinking of the September trip into Flagstaff Lake.  I'm looking forward to sitting on the rock, casting to pickerel and perch and sipping on a beer.  If you're interested, we can probably find another kayak or canoe.

No comments: