Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Mid-March in Maine

This is the bike I rode today. Although I have gotten both the Trek roadie and the Diamondback commuter fit and ready, I was seduced by the warm weather and the fact that the Enfield started on the first kick. After eight months of disuse, the critter fired up with a slight coughing fit and then settled into its usual rumbling idle. So I donned the necessary gear and meandered the back roads up to Nick and Susan's to retrieve the shaving kit I'd forgotten after spending last night with them. Once back in Westbrook I started dinner and began reading the inordinate pile of (crap) reading material and advertising that has arrived to herald my becoming eligible for Medicare. After one glass of excrable wine (nowhere near as good as Fidencio which costs a third) and seventeen pages I decided to do something meaningful. I washed dishes and came to play on thee 'puter. Am missing the cycling in Spain, but I hear that the weather over there has been quite wet. Glad I missed it. We're setting record highs here, with summer-like weather on the first day of Spring. Forecast is for 27C or 80F inland, tomorrow. Think I'll go take an Aleve for a splitting headache. Don't know whether it was caused by reading government brochures, money-grubbing adverts or the vinaigrette mis-labled as Merlot. Buenas Noches!

2 comments:

Bee said...

welcome back!!!! didn't know you were stat-side. while you were gone we decided not to have winter...cheers. :) see you soon?!?! b and a

David Gartside said...

Hello from Greenfield, UK. Warm spring morning. Had dinner with Isabel at Portico Mar before we left Spain. Your trip sounds great. Enjoy the rest of your US stay.

David & Margaret G