Thursday, December 15, 2011

Official Spanish Resident

Six months and one day after I started the process, I picked up my official Extranjeros Regimen Comunitario card. Two trips to Orihuela, four to Alicante, much mail back and forth to the Philippines and Madrid and it's over-until Nov 2016, anyway. That's when I need to renew it. Now to undergo 40 hours of "integration" classes that consist of language, culture, civics, etc. I hope they don't interfere with cycling.
Tomorrow we're off to Alicante again, by train, to chase down Is' driver's license. She was told to contact the Traffico office if she hadn't received it within 60 days. Well, that's just passed so we're chasing. I'm dreading the start of another process to get mine. Hers was relatively easy; just go there, show the Brit (E.U.) license and wait for the mail. I have to go to mandatory classes. Hey! Howcome? I drive on the proper side of the road! then I have to learn 600 different laws and rules, study mechanics, towing issues, first aid, target practice and then take the exam...in Spanish. Oh boy! I'd almost rather not get one, just ride a bike and let her drive. That way I can sample all the wine I want. Hmmmmm.....

1 comment:

Bee said...

Merry Christmas! A package will be coming your way after the holiday. Hope you enjoy your vacation and let's Skype soon? Just send an email with a day/time. HUGS!
<3 B & A